I've not been blogging for a month or so due to the arrival of baby Grace! But I'm back at work on Monday so I'm gradually easing back in to the world of librarianship, starting with some stuff I meant to blog links to ages ago but never got around to... I was delighted to be asked to write a post on the Letters to a Young Librarian blog run by Jessica Olin. It's a really good blog and one that I read a lot anyway, so it was really nice to do something for it. Here's my post.
I tried to really honestly (and at the risk of embarassing myself a bit) write a letter to the me that was about to start his first day in libraries, aged 25-and-a-half, back in 2006. I also tried to make it as relevant and useful as possible to a new professional today, so check it out and and tell me what you think. It includes a list of things I think we really should be doing in our profession:
- Communicating our value PROPERLY at every opportunity.
- Embracing informality.
- Trying to inspire people rather than placate.
- Understanding that work-life balance is important enough that it should not be considered with reference to what ANYONE ELSE IS DOING.
- Libraries have always been product orientated, but now they need to be market orientated. .
Each of these is expanded in the post; it was fun to think about this stuff. Thanks to Jessica for asking me and the reader of her blog who requested the post!
I've written quite a lot of stuff on platforms other than here (or the Toolkit blog) in recent months - there's a complete list in the Guest Posts On... section down the right-hand side of the website (you'll need to scroll down!) but here are the most recent:
- Circulating Ideas - l was honoured to be a guest on the Librarian interview podcast. Listen to it here
- Expert tips for marketing your library - interview for LIBER
- Rebranding a Library: how did it all go so right? - for Information Today
- Marketing libraries is like marketing mayonnaise - for Library Journal
- Marketing your library - for American Libraries Magazine
- Marketing with video - my first column for Library Journal
- Six Questions with me about marketing stuff, on the 658.8 blog .
Normal blog service will now be resumed!